Mobile Testing an interesting topic to discuss about a device that has become a part of our daily life the "Mobile phone". Its pretty much a small world inside for every person who has a Phone. Mobile Phones has come a long way from being a phone with keypads with small screen and also heavy to carry today phone's are advanced technically with touch screen , Internet enabled which makes an user to do everything right paying his bills to check his email and every individual is well connected.So in this advanced version of the current Mobile Phone its very important it delivers what it is designed for.
Mobile Testing is split into Mobile Application Testing and Mobile Device Testing. So lets dig more on what is Mobile Application Testing is all about in brief then we will discuss on Mobile Device Testing.
|Applications inside a Mobile|
Mobile application testing is a process by which application software developed for handheld mobile devices is tested for its functionality, usability and consistency.The applications that work on mobile devices and their functionality is tested. It is called the “Mobile Application Testing”. Even in the mobile applications, there are few basic differences that are important to understand:
a) Native apps: A native application (native app) is an application program that has been developed for use on a particular platform or device. Because native apps are written for a specific platform, they can interact with and take advantage of operating system features and other software that is typically installed on that platform.( As Defined in whatis.com)
|Native - Hybrid- Combination|
b) Mobile web apps : Web apps are not real applications; they are really websites that, in many ways, look and feel like native applications, but are not implemented as such. They are run by a browser and typically written in HTML5
When Testing a Mobile there are certain important areas which we need to look into to ensure that the application is working fine.They are as below:
- Application should be able to initialize the process of a proper download from any place it is stored. More Precisely from any Store.
- The Application devised for should be able to perform across various platforms like Android, IOS, Symbian, Windows Phone, and BlackBerry (RIM). Each operating system has its own limitations.
- The Mobile Phone should be able to take up a phone call when we are working on a application.
- Mobile devices should work well with different screen input methods (QWERTY, touch, normal) with different hardware capabilities.
- When Testing a Mobile Application there different ways of approach one is Testing on Real Devices and the other Testing on Emulators.Though both approaches are perfect There are certain limitations as well when we test in emulators as they often miss issues that can only be caught by testing on real devices. Since Real Devices are expensive to purchase and time consuming to use for testing we tend to go back to emulators.
We execute various levels of Testing in Mobile Application which includes:
- Cross Browser
- Lab Testing
- Memory Leakage
- Load testing etc.,
The above we discussed more on what is mobile application testing is all about now let us learn more on what is mobile device.
|Mobile Device Testing|
Mobile-device testing involves a set of activities from monitoring and trouble shooting mobile application, content and services on real handsets. Testing includes verification and validation of hardware devices and software applications.
Mobile Device Testing is done to ensure that the function of the devices are working as per expectation and in this type of testing both the hardware and software are tested to ensure that both are compatible to each other. A Mobile Device Goes through various levels of testing like the Unit Testing, Factory Testing and finally the Certification Testing.
- Mobile application testing
- Hardware testing
- Battery (charging) testing
- Signal receiving
- Network testing
- Protocol testing
- Mobile games testing
- Mobile software compatibility testing